Karnataka CM requests PM to consult state before setting up CMB
Belgaum (Karnataka): Karnataka Chief Minister Jagadish Shettar on Monday told the Legislative Assembly that he has written to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to confabulate with the state before setting up the Cauvery Management Board.
"I have written a letter to the Prime Minister requesting him to consult Karnataka before forming the CMB," Shettar said on the floor of the House here.
At a meeting of the Cauvery Monitoring Committee (CMC) on December seven in Delhi to give an interim order on water sharing between Karnataka and Tamil Nadu, it was decided to notify the final award of the Cauvery Waters Dispute Tribunal by the end of this month.
Once a gazette notification is issued, institutions like the Cauvery River Authority (CRA) chaired by the Prime Minister and the CMC will cease to exist and new organisations like the CMB and Cauvery Water Regulation Committee will be constituted with representatives from all the co-basin states.
Shettar said the Centre should convene a meeting of all four Chief Ministers of Cauvery basin before ushering in the Board as the original suit on Cauvery river water sharing and clarification petition were pending before the Supreme Court and Cauvery Water Disputes Tribunal respectively.
During the Cauvery Monitoring Committee meeting last week, it was informed that the CMB and Cauvery Water Regulation Committee will be ushered in to iron out difficulties in sharing of water in Cauvery basin without any outside influence.
The Bhakra-Beas Management Board and Tungabhadra Board are also making efforts to end the dispute on sharing of water between the co-basin states.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- BSF catches cow slaughter gang near India-Bangladesh border in Malda
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...