Karnataka CM requests PM to consult state before setting up CMB
Belgaum (Karnataka): Karnataka Chief Minister Jagadish Shettar on Monday told the Legislative Assembly that he has written to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to confabulate with the state before setting up the Cauvery Management Board.
"I have written a letter to the Prime Minister requesting him to consult Karnataka before forming the CMB," Shettar said on the floor of the House here.
At a meeting of the Cauvery Monitoring Committee (CMC) on December seven in Delhi to give an interim order on water sharing between Karnataka and Tamil Nadu, it was decided to notify the final award of the Cauvery Waters Dispute Tribunal by the end of this month.
Once a gazette notification is issued, institutions like the Cauvery River Authority (CRA) chaired by the Prime Minister and the CMC will cease to exist and new organisations like the CMB and Cauvery Water Regulation Committee will be constituted with representatives from all the co-basin states.
Shettar said the Centre should convene a meeting of all four Chief Ministers of Cauvery basin before ushering in the Board as the original suit on Cauvery river water sharing and clarification petition were pending before the Supreme Court and Cauvery Water Disputes Tribunal respectively.
During the Cauvery Monitoring Committee meeting last week, it was informed that the CMB and Cauvery Water Regulation Committee will be ushered in to iron out difficulties in sharing of water in Cauvery basin without any outside influence.
The Bhakra-Beas Management Board and Tungabhadra Board are also making efforts to end the dispute on sharing of water between the co-basin states.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra addresses people of Haryana
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- OMG! Young girl borrows phone from unknown people to send 'mujra' ladies for clients - WATCH what happens next
- PM Narendra Modi brings water to parched Saurashtra region in Gujarat
- Afghanistan deports 250 Pakistanis due to border tension
- India test fires Scramjet engine, joins elite club of nations
- Trupti Desai enters Haji Ali Dargah in Mumbai; says happy that no one objected us