Karnataka CM requests PM to consult state before setting up CMB
Belgaum (Karnataka): Karnataka Chief Minister Jagadish Shettar on Monday told the Legislative Assembly that he has written to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to confabulate with the state before setting up the Cauvery Management Board.
"I have written a letter to the Prime Minister requesting him to consult Karnataka before forming the CMB," Shettar said on the floor of the House here.
At a meeting of the Cauvery Monitoring Committee (CMC) on December seven in Delhi to give an interim order on water sharing between Karnataka and Tamil Nadu, it was decided to notify the final award of the Cauvery Waters Dispute Tribunal by the end of this month.
Once a gazette notification is issued, institutions like the Cauvery River Authority (CRA) chaired by the Prime Minister and the CMC will cease to exist and new organisations like the CMB and Cauvery Water Regulation Committee will be constituted with representatives from all the co-basin states.
Shettar said the Centre should convene a meeting of all four Chief Ministers of Cauvery basin before ushering in the Board as the original suit on Cauvery river water sharing and clarification petition were pending before the Supreme Court and Cauvery Water Disputes Tribunal respectively.
During the Cauvery Monitoring Committee meeting last week, it was informed that the CMB and Cauvery Water Regulation Committee will be ushered in to iron out difficulties in sharing of water in Cauvery basin without any outside influence.
The Bhakra-Beas Management Board and Tungabhadra Board are also making efforts to end the dispute on sharing of water between the co-basin states.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- My News: People forced to pay for govt water tankers in Sangam Vihar
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi