Karnataka CM Sadananda Gowda wins LC bypoll
Bangalore: Karnataka Chief Minister DV
Sadananada Gowda on Thursday won the byelection to the Legislative
Council defeating Congress candidate Anand Gaddadevaramath by
a comfortable margin of 54 votes in a straight contest after
JDS chose to abstain.
Gowda secured 123 votes as against 69 by Anand out of the
199 votes polled in the election in which the assembly members
formed the electoral college while seven votes were declared
The 26-member JDS group abstained from voting, which
ensured an easy victory for Gowda, who became the upper house
member fulfilling the Constitutional requirement to get
elected to the state legislature within six months of becoming
Gowda, a Lok Sabha member, was sworn in Chief Minister in
August after BS Yeddyurappa was asked by the BJP Central
leadership to quit over his indictment in the Lokayukta report
on illegal mining.
The main opposition Congress which sought to fish in
troubled waters amid reports that there might be cross voting
from a divided BJP suffered embarrassment when its candidate
was defeated. It had to face criticism from its own
legislators for forcing the contest though the party had no
numbers to win the bypoll.
In the 225-member assembly, BJP has 120 members including
the Speaker. Congress has 71, JDS 26, seven independents and
one nominated member.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor