Karnataka govt prohibits women staff from wearing jeans, T-shirts
Zee Media Bureau/Tarun Khanna
Banglore: While the nation is collectively demanding women liberation, the Karnataka government has recently imposed a dress code for its women employees.
The state government had issued a circular on September 12 in which instructions were laid for women employees on what to wear and what not to wear. The listed attire in the circular includes only saris or salwar kameez.
Shalini Rajneesh, secretary, department of personnel and administrative reforms, in support of the circular said, “One should look dignified and professional at a workplace. Casual clothing does not give that impression.”
She further added that before issuing the circular approval was taken from the Chief Minister Siddaramaiah. The circular is applicable on all government employees, including those on contractual basis.
As per L Bhyrappa, president of the Karnataka State Government Employees’ Association, the circular was issued as some government employees wear provocative clothes which disturb the decorum of a workplace. “When we ask them not to wear such clothes they say there is no such rule laid,” he said.
Several women and social activists are protesting against this move of the government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price