Karnataka Oppn leader demands resignation of minority govt
Belgaum: Opposition Leader in the Karnataka Assembly Siddaramaiah on Monday demanded resignation of Chief Minister Jagadish Shettar for running a minority government and not coming out clear on government`s stand on the release of Cauvery water to Tamil Nadu.
"This government does not have moral authority to continue as it has been reduced to a minority. If the Chief Minister has respect towards Parliamentary system of democracy, he should resign. He should not set a wrong precedent," Siddaramaiah said in the Assembly here.
Siddaramaiah also demanded that the Chief Minister make a clear statement on the floor of the House whether the government has released Cauvery water to Tamil Nadu.
He alleged Shettar had stated on the floor of the House that the government would not release water, but it has been doing it since December seven. "It has been cheating the people of the state, especially farmers living in Cauvery basin.
Therefore, on this score too, Shettar should tender his resignation," Siddarmaiah said.
After Siddaramaih`s statement, opposition members continued their dharna in the well of the House on Cauvery issue and demanded resignation of Shettar for running a "minority government" and not coming out clear on the release of Cauvery water to Tamil Nadu.
At this point, Speaker KG Bopaiah intervened and adjourned the session for 10 minutes.
Earlier Siddaramaiah told reporters that there was no need for Congress to move no-confidence motion as the BJP government has been reduced to a minority with the support of a "meagre" 101 legislators.
"The magic number of 112 legislators is required for a simple majority in the Assembly. The BJP has 118, and out of which three have joined B Sreeramulu`s BSR party. If you minus 14 legislators who participated in KJP rally, the government strength gets reduced to 101 legislators. When the government has lost majority, there is no need for us to move no-confidence motion," Siddaramaiah said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it