Karnataka Oppn leader demands resignation of minority govt
Belgaum: Opposition Leader in the Karnataka Assembly Siddaramaiah on Monday demanded resignation of Chief Minister Jagadish Shettar for running a minority government and not coming out clear on government`s stand on the release of Cauvery water to Tamil Nadu.
"This government does not have moral authority to continue as it has been reduced to a minority. If the Chief Minister has respect towards Parliamentary system of democracy, he should resign. He should not set a wrong precedent," Siddaramaiah said in the Assembly here.
Siddaramaiah also demanded that the Chief Minister make a clear statement on the floor of the House whether the government has released Cauvery water to Tamil Nadu.
He alleged Shettar had stated on the floor of the House that the government would not release water, but it has been doing it since December seven. "It has been cheating the people of the state, especially farmers living in Cauvery basin.
Therefore, on this score too, Shettar should tender his resignation," Siddarmaiah said.
After Siddaramaih`s statement, opposition members continued their dharna in the well of the House on Cauvery issue and demanded resignation of Shettar for running a "minority government" and not coming out clear on the release of Cauvery water to Tamil Nadu.
At this point, Speaker KG Bopaiah intervened and adjourned the session for 10 minutes.
Earlier Siddaramaiah told reporters that there was no need for Congress to move no-confidence motion as the BJP government has been reduced to a minority with the support of a "meagre" 101 legislators.
"The magic number of 112 legislators is required for a simple majority in the Assembly. The BJP has 118, and out of which three have joined B Sreeramulu`s BSR party. If you minus 14 legislators who participated in KJP rally, the government strength gets reduced to 101 legislators. When the government has lost majority, there is no need for us to move no-confidence motion," Siddaramaiah said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- Germany's top immigration officer anticipates 300,000 refugees in 2016
- Wow! Soon you may find a robot greeting you at HDFC Bank
- Half of states expected to ratify GST by early September
- When Kareena Kapoor Khan got 'emotional' while walking Lakme Fashion Week runway
- Two dead, 41 hurt in bus crash involving Louisiana flood-relief volunteers