K`taka budget session: Uncertainty looms over govt fate
Bangalore: Amid uncertainty over its fate due to resignation of party MLAs loyal to BS Yeddyurappa, the BJP government is bracing itself to face the crucial budget session on Monday, the last one of the 13th assembly term.
The BJP government led by Chief Minister Jagadish Shettar, surviving on a wafer thin majority following resignation of 14 MLAs in the last one week, faces a threat in the backdrop of threat by Yeddyurappa loyalists to quit.
Governor H R Bhardwaj will address both houses of the Karnataka legislature tomorrow, outlining the policy initiatives of the government for the year.
However, fireworks could be on cards in the coming days as opposition Congress and JDS will question the government`s continuance despite losing majority.
The en masse resignation of MLAs, former minister Shobha Karandlaje`s charge that government has "failed" to check attacks on women and on girls reported missing across the state are expected to generate much heat.
Shettar, who will be presenting his maiden budget on February 8, which will also be the last by the BJP government as assembly elections are likely in April-May, will have a tough job on hand to sail through the session.
MLAs and Ministers loyal to Yeddyurappa have so far not spelt out their strategy, but BJP feels they may not pose any problem.
The government`s fiscal performance in implementing programmes announced in the 2012-13 budget and also the tardy phase of drought relief work would become major issues for the opposition to embarrass the government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!