K`taka HC adjourns Bhagavad Gita case by two weeks
Bangalore: The Karnataka High Court on Thursday
adjourned by two weeks hearing on a petition challenging the
government`s controversial circular on teaching of `Bhagavad
Gita` in primary and higher secondary schools in the state.
When the petition filed by Karnataka State Minorities
Educational Institutions Managements Federation came up for
hearing before Justice Abdul Nazeer, he granted the time
sought by government to file its objections.
On July 14, the court ordered issue of notices to the
state and the Union governments on the petition, which prayed
that the court stay the operation of the circular.
Counsel for the petitioner G R Mohan had submitted that
the circular would "go against the Constitution of India and
also affect the religious sentiments of the minority and may
create communal tension in schools".
The government has maintained that the Bhagavad Gita
programme was neither sponsored nor funded by it.
Minister for Primary and Secondary Education Visveshwara
Hegde Kageri had said the government has only asked the
education department to extend cooperation to the programme as
it has been doing for other schemes like planting of saplings
organised by various organisations.
Kageri`s reported remarks at a recent function in Kolar
that those opposing the programme should leave the country has
raised a controversy.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!