K’taka slaps ban on issue of mineral dispatch permits
Bangalore: The Karnataka government
today banned issue of permits to transport iron ore and other
minerals for exports, saying this necessary to protect natural
resources and check illegal mining and illegal export of
"To protect the natural resources and to check illegal
mining and illegal export of minerals, it has been decided to
stop issue of Mineral Dispatch Permit with immediate effect,"
a notification issued by state`s Commerce and Industries
Department said here.
The notification said the Mines and Geology Department
was in the process of framing new set of guidelines governing
issue of transport permits for minerals in the wake of illegal
exports reported from Belekere and Karwar ports in recent
The government was collecting information on the
quantum of minerals production in the state, extent of
minerals available for local industries for value addition and
the quantum that was being exported now, it said.
There was an urgent need to bring to a halt illegal
mining and illegal transport of minerals without permits, it
It has become inevitable for the government to ban
issue of permits until further orders, it said.
Two days ago, the BJP government ordered for closure
of 10 ports to curb illegal export of iron ore after it came
under intense attack from opposition Congress, which has
undertaken padayatra over the issue since July 25.
It is learnt that the decision to close ports and ban
issue of permits has not gone down well with Reddy brothers--
Tourism Minister G Janardhana Reddy and Revenue Minister G
Even Congress MLA Santosh Lad, another mining baron,
has opposed such decisions of the government and declared he
would challenge in them legally.
Reddy brothers had spearheaded a dissident movement
against Yeddyurappa, demanding his ouster during September
last year and a truce was brought about by the intervention of
the BJP high command then.
The Congress has already dubbed the ports closure and
ban on issue of permits as an "eye wash and drama" by the BJP
Minor ports which were closed by the government do not
engage in iron ore exports, Congress leaders maintained.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo