Man kept chained by sister for 20 years, rescued
Bangalore: A man, allegedly kept in captivity by his sister at her house for at least 20 years, has been rescued by police in Haveri district of Karnataka on Friday.
Hanumantappa Kyapannavar, in his late forties, was found chained by his sister Durgavva when police visited their house at Belur village following a tip off.
The man`s hair was unkempt and had covered himself with just a long piece of cloth, said Haveri SP Chetan Singh Rathore.
He, however, said it was difficult to say Hanumantappa was illegally confined, but initial investigations suggest that the victim was "restricted" from going out of the house.
"According to Durgavva, Hanumantappa is mentally retarded and created public nuisance whenever he was set free. He used to pelt stones at people and indulged in eve teasing among other serious complaints of misbehaviour. Therefore his sister restricted him from going out of the house," Rathore said.
This is the third such incident coming to light in Karnataka in the last four days.
On June 4, Bangalore police rescued a 35-year-old Hemavathi who was allegedly locked up in a room by her parents for about four years.
In another case, 90-year-old Ananth Kumar Shetty, who was allegedly kept chained on the terrace of his house here has been rescued this week.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof