Mining: Reddy wants to be shifted by air to court
Hyderabad: Former Karnataka minister Gali
Janardhan Reddy, an accused in the OMC mining scam, on Thursday
moved a special court seeking directions to CBI to shift him
to Bangalore by air where he has to appear before a court in
connection with another illegal mining case.
A special court for CBI cases in Bangalore had issued
a warrant against Reddy asking him to appear before it on
March 2 in connection with illegal mining activity by the
Associated Mining Company (AMC), owned by the mining baron and
his wife Aruna.
Reddy today approached the special court for CBI cases
here through his counsel urging that he be taken to Bangalore
by air in view of his safety and long distance at his "own
The former minister is currently under judicial remand
and lodged in Chanchalguda Central Prison here along with
brother-in-law BV Srinivas Reddy since September 5 after his
arrest by CBI in the "illegal" mining case involving
Obulapuram Mining Company (OMC).
Meanwhile, Chanchalguda jail authorities requested
police escort for shifting Janardhan Reddy to Bangalore.
The CBI had last December chargesheeted Reddys and
three others in the OMC case accusing them of doctoring
documents and hatching a conspiracy along with some public
servants violating the mining lease agreements.
According to the chargesheet, alleged illegal mining
and extraction to the tune of 29.30 lakh tonne of iron-ore was
carried out in several areas in Karnataka other than 68.5
hectares leased out to OMC in Anantapur district of Andhra
The CBI in Karnataka had already filed an FIR against
21 persons, including Gali Janardhan Reddy, his wife Aruna,
former minister and Congress leader V Muniyappa and others in
connection with illegal quarrying by Associated Mining Company
(AMC), owned by Reddy and his spouse.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Maharajganj
- Are educational institutions becoming a tool to showcase anti-national agendas?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- DNA: Post demonetisation, India records 7% GDP growth rate in Q3
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'
- Gurmehar-ABVP ruckus: Virender Sehwag represents BCCI not India, says Umar Khalid
- No AC, mattress for Sasikala in prison, confirms DIG; may not be shifted to Chennai jail