Mining scam: Governor sanctions BSY’s prosecution
Bangalore: In fresh trouble for B S
Yeddyurappa, Karnataka Governor H R Bhardwaj today gave
sanction to Lokayukta police to initiate criminal proceedings
against him over the report on illegal mining.
Bhardwaj accepted the findings and recommendation of
the Lokayukta in Chapter 22 of the report for initiating
criminal proceedings against Yeddyurappa, a Raj Bhavan
The Governor`s sanction came a week after the
Lokayukta sent a copy of the report to Bhardwaj.
It said the Governor, the competent authority under
the Karnataka Lokayukta Act, took the decision after having
carefully examined the report, along with relevant annexures,
with reference to provisions of the Karnataka Lokayukta Act,
1994 and Prevention of Corruption Act, 1988.
He also noted that Lokayukta may take further
necessary action through Lokayukta police.
"The decision of the Competent Authority has been
forwarded to the Registrar, Karnataka Lokayukta for placing it
before Lokayukta of Karnataka", the communique said.
"I am the only competent authority to accept the
Lokayukta report. I have read the report, accepted the report
and returned the papers to the Lokayukta office to proceed
with further action," Bhardwaj later said on the sidelines
of swearing in function of the new Lokayukta.
Further action, he said, means investigation by
Lokayukta police into the charges against those indicted in
the report including Yeddyurappa.
"So as per the law, Lokyukta police will have to
conduct the investigation. This (investigation) will have to
be done and the report submitted to Governor through the
Lokayukta. Only after that the question of prosecution arises.
There is no need for any special permission from my side to
prosecute Yeddyurappa at this stage, this juncture," Bhardwaj
"After investigation by Lokayukta police, it will come
back to me for further action. Naturally the question of
permission for prosecution does not arise at present, without
proper investigation by Lokayukta police," he said.
"It now depends upon new Lokayukta Shivaraj Patil to
conduct the police investigation and how soon he does it," the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation