Mining scam: Governor sanctions BSY’s prosecution
Bangalore: In fresh trouble for B S
Yeddyurappa, Karnataka Governor H R Bhardwaj today gave
sanction to Lokayukta police to initiate criminal proceedings
against him over the report on illegal mining.
Bhardwaj accepted the findings and recommendation of
the Lokayukta in Chapter 22 of the report for initiating
criminal proceedings against Yeddyurappa, a Raj Bhavan
The Governor`s sanction came a week after the
Lokayukta sent a copy of the report to Bhardwaj.
It said the Governor, the competent authority under
the Karnataka Lokayukta Act, took the decision after having
carefully examined the report, along with relevant annexures,
with reference to provisions of the Karnataka Lokayukta Act,
1994 and Prevention of Corruption Act, 1988.
He also noted that Lokayukta may take further
necessary action through Lokayukta police.
"The decision of the Competent Authority has been
forwarded to the Registrar, Karnataka Lokayukta for placing it
before Lokayukta of Karnataka", the communique said.
"I am the only competent authority to accept the
Lokayukta report. I have read the report, accepted the report
and returned the papers to the Lokayukta office to proceed
with further action," Bhardwaj later said on the sidelines
of swearing in function of the new Lokayukta.
Further action, he said, means investigation by
Lokayukta police into the charges against those indicted in
the report including Yeddyurappa.
"So as per the law, Lokyukta police will have to
conduct the investigation. This (investigation) will have to
be done and the report submitted to Governor through the
Lokayukta. Only after that the question of prosecution arises.
There is no need for any special permission from my side to
prosecute Yeddyurappa at this stage, this juncture," Bhardwaj
"After investigation by Lokayukta police, it will come
back to me for further action. Naturally the question of
permission for prosecution does not arise at present, without
proper investigation by Lokayukta police," he said.
"It now depends upon new Lokayukta Shivaraj Patil to
conduct the police investigation and how soon he does it," the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi