Modi threatens to sue Karnataka local Cong leader
Bangalore: Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi has threatened to initiate legal proceedings against a local Congress leader for serving a notice asking him to apologise and withdraw his remarks calling Prime Minister Manmohan Singh a "night watchman" of the Gandhi family.
Replying to the legal notice issued last month by former Pradesh Congress Member K K Benson, Modi, through his advocates K N Subba Reddy and Vivek Reddy, asked him not to initiate any "false, frivolous and adventuristic complaint against him."
"Inspite of this advice, if you (Benson) were to institute any such false and frivolous complaint..., I will not only be constrained to defend the same, but also initiate appropriate legal proceedings against you, both civil and criminal, at your sole risk and cost," Modi said in the reply.
Modi termed as not true the statement that by calling the PM as "night watchman" he has insulted, degraded and defamed him in public and added that the demand that he apologise for it "is wholly untenable."
Benson had served a legal notice to Modi asking him to apologise and withdraw his remarks calling Prime Minister a "night watchman" of the Sonia Gandhi family.
Without naming Manmohan Singh, Modi on March 3 had said the Congress appointed a "night watchman" to keep the seat warm for the first family of the Congress.
"They did not realise that the night will be so long and dark. As a buffer, they appointed an economist to the post," Modi had said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!