No unity among parties in Karnataka over Cauvery issue: Deve Gowda
Bangalore: JD-S leader HD Deve Gowda on Thursday lamented "lack of unity" among parties in Karnataka over the Cauvery issue and asked them to follow the example of Tamil Nadu, where parties have spoken in one voice on the dispute.
"As opposed to Tamil Nadu where political parties are united on the issue despite infighting among themselves, in Karnataka unfortunately political parties are not united even on this issue, which is of prime concern to the state," he said while addressing advocates in the High Court premises here.
Taking an indirect swipe at his bete noire, former chief minister BS Yeddyurappa who quit BJP and launched Karnataka Janata Party, he said "with new parties mushrooming everyday, where is the question of unity among political leaders?"
Urging advocates to form a committee comprising senior advocates to tackle the issue, Deve Gowda criticised the state government for its `inept` handling of the dispute.
His appeals to the Centre and state government for an amicable resolution of the issue, keeping the welfare of both states in mind had fallen on deaf ears, he said.
Deve Gowda said he had met Chief Minister Jagadish Shettar yesterday and asked him to pressurise the Centre to not notify the final award of the Cauvery Water Disputes Tribunal.
If it was notified, Karnataka would be forced to release water to Tamil Nadu, he said.
"Water is essential for survival and Karnataka really needs it. The Centre should look at the position of the state compassionately", he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed