Our mistakes cost us Bellary bypoll: K’taka CM
Bellary: Stung by the BJP`s defeat in the
Bellary bypoll, Karnataka Chief Minister D V Sadananda Gowda
on Sunday said the "mistakes" committed by the party in the last
three years were responsible for the loss.
However, he tried to put up a brave front, saying the
party has made a good beginning in the region by securing more
than 17,000 votes -- from being "zero" there.
"We had zero votes there(after the party distanced itself
from the Reddy brothers); now we have 18,000. I believe it`s a
good achievement," he said .
He said it was a mistake to give the Reddy brothers (whose
protege B Sriramulu won the Bellary (Rural) bypoll on Sunday by
46,790 votes) a free run in Bellary district affairs. "No body
is responsible for our defeat. The mistakes committed by us
in the last three years are responsible".
Finishing third behind the Congress nominee, BJP candidate
P Gadilingappa secured 17,366 votes, losing his deposit.
Gowda`s said the result would have no impact either on
state`s politics or the Government.
Asked if action would be taken against legislators who
supported Sriramulu, the Chief Minister pointed out they had
already been suspended, adding, the party would take the next
steps after watching on Sunday developments.
Congress leader and Leader of Opposition in the Legislative
Assembly, Siddaramaiah, expressed surpise over the verdict.
"I can`t believe it. It`s a big setback for the Congress.
We never expected this. We thought it`s a close fight (between
Sriramulu and Congress candidate B Ramprasad who got 27,737
votes as agains Sriramulu`s 74,527). Perhaps money and muscle
power have worked. All calculations have gone topsy-turvy," he
Congratuting Sriramulu, JDS State President H D
Kumaraswamy, whose party had supported him, said people of all
communities have supported the former.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan chased by a tiger!
- Bihar polls: Alert sounded ahead of PM Modi's rallies in Bihar
- Caught on camera: Woman stealing cell phone in store
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook