Parl nod to bill for spl status to backward areas in H`bad-K`taka
New Delhi: Six backward districts in the Hyderabad-Karnataka region were today accorded special status with the Parliament passing a Constitution Amendment Bill backed by an overwhelming majority.
The Constitution (118th Amendment) Bill, which inserts a new Article 371-J to provide special recognition for the six backward districts of North Karnataka -- Gulbarga, Yadgir, Raichur, Bidar, Koppal and Bellary, was passed in Rajya Sabha with all members present voting in favour.
Lok Sabha had passed the Bill yesterday.
The Bill provides for reservation in education and jobs for locals and setting up of a separate Development Board. This also provides for equitable allocation of funds for development of the region.
Initiating the debate, Venkaiah Naidu (BJP) said lack of Centre`s financial support was one the elements "missing" from the legislation. He also demanded Centre`s special grant for development and asked for adequate support for infrastructure development of the region.
In his reply, Minister of State for Home Affairs R P N Singh said the region has received Rs 407 crore since 2007-08 and if it can improve fund utilisation, the Centre would give additional financial assistance.
All the 163 members present at the time of voting in the Rajya Sabha voted in favour of the bill.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof