SC favours steps for opening of mines in Karnataka
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Thursday favoured initiation of immediate steps for opening of iron and ore mines in Karnataka saying their closure has resulted in the slowdown of the steel industry.
"The industry is going low. The production should not be shut," a special forest bench comprising justices Aftab Alam, K S Radhakrishnan and Swatanter Kumar said.
The bench was hearing the application filed by Karnataka Iron and Steel Manufacturing Association seeking direction for taking immediate steps for opening of 16 iron and ore mines in which the apex court appointed expert panel, central empowered committee (CEC), had found minimum irregularities.
The apex court said it will pass order on the issue on August 17 after going through the action taken report submitted by the CEC in which it has dealt with the issue of Reclamation and Rehabilitation (R&R) plan.
However, the bench said, in the meantime the various stakeholders including the representatives of the state-owned National Mineral Development Corporation (NMDC), Karnataka government and others will hold a joint meeting on Monday to evolve the mechanism for the production and supply of the iron and ore.
During the hearing, the NMDC counsel Arvind Datar said there was no difficulty in production of the minerals but the area of concern was the shortage of rakes for its transportation and absence of long time contract was coming in the way of extracting large-scale iron and ore.
He said long term e-auction will help in solving the contract for extraction of the mineral.
The court also said it will go through the CEC report on R&R to ascertain that it was brought to the site and was not limited to the paper.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM