SC favours steps for opening of mines in Karnataka
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Thursday favoured initiation of immediate steps for opening of iron and ore mines in Karnataka saying their closure has resulted in the slowdown of the steel industry.
"The industry is going low. The production should not be shut," a special forest bench comprising justices Aftab Alam, K S Radhakrishnan and Swatanter Kumar said.
The bench was hearing the application filed by Karnataka Iron and Steel Manufacturing Association seeking direction for taking immediate steps for opening of 16 iron and ore mines in which the apex court appointed expert panel, central empowered committee (CEC), had found minimum irregularities.
The apex court said it will pass order on the issue on August 17 after going through the action taken report submitted by the CEC in which it has dealt with the issue of Reclamation and Rehabilitation (R&R) plan.
However, the bench said, in the meantime the various stakeholders including the representatives of the state-owned National Mineral Development Corporation (NMDC), Karnataka government and others will hold a joint meeting on Monday to evolve the mechanism for the production and supply of the iron and ore.
During the hearing, the NMDC counsel Arvind Datar said there was no difficulty in production of the minerals but the area of concern was the shortage of rakes for its transportation and absence of long time contract was coming in the way of extracting large-scale iron and ore.
He said long term e-auction will help in solving the contract for extraction of the mineral.
The court also said it will go through the CEC report on R&R to ascertain that it was brought to the site and was not limited to the paper.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram on July 30