Six African nationals assaulted in Bengaluru
A suo motu case has been registered for a mob attack on six African nationals from Ivory Coast in Bengaluru, a police official said on Wednesday.
Bengaluru: A suo motu case has been registered for a mob attack on six African nationals from Ivory Coast in Bengaluru, a police official said on Wednesday.
"Though the victims have not filed a complaint, we have registered a case under sections of the Indian Penal Code against unknown people who are still at large," Deputy Commissioner of Police Vikash Kumar Vikash, of the north-east suburb, told IANS.
Police have identified a few people in Kothanur area for their suspected involvement in Monday night`s incident and will interrogate them on Thursday.
"We have not detained or arrested anyone so far, as investigation is underway. We have stepped up vigil and deployed more personnel after the victims sought protection against the alleged perpetrators," Vikash said.
Ruling out a racial angle for the attack, in which four of the victims were grievously injured, Vikash said the incident occurred after heated exchanges between the Africans and locals annoyed over their rash driving in the locality.
"It`s a case of mistaken identity. When one of the victims was creating ruckus in the residential area, the mob attacked them assuming they were all creating nuisance in the locality with late night parties and playing loud music," he said.
Karnataka Home Minister K.J. George directed police commissioner M.N. Reddi to hold a peace committee meeting in Kothanur area to restore normalcy and ensure safety of all foreign nationals living in the suburb.