Venkaiah Naidu held during rally against Bhardwaj
Bangalore: Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) legislators and party MPs from Karnataka, including senior leader M Venkaiah Naidu, were detained here Tuesday while marching to Raj Bhavan demanding recall of Governor HR Bhardwaj.
The `Raj Bhavan Chalo` (March to Raj Bhavan) was organised by the ruling BJP to protest Bhardwaj`s decision to sanction prosecution of Chief Minister BS Yeddyurappa over corruption charges.
"Our fight will continue till Bhardwaj is recalled," Naidu told reporters as he was bundled into a police vehicle along with his party colleagues, a few metres away from Raj Bhavan.
"Bhardwaj is acting like a Congress agent and our battle against him will not stop because of arrests like this," he said.
The march was led by state BJP president KS Eshwarappa, who was also detained.
The marchers carried placards and shouted slogans as they walked from a hotel -- where they met earlier and decided on staging rallies across the state in the coming days -- to Raj Bhavan half a km away.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional