Venkaiah Naidu held during rally against Bhardwaj
Bangalore: Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) legislators and party MPs from Karnataka, including senior leader M Venkaiah Naidu, were detained here Tuesday while marching to Raj Bhavan demanding recall of Governor HR Bhardwaj.
The `Raj Bhavan Chalo` (March to Raj Bhavan) was organised by the ruling BJP to protest Bhardwaj`s decision to sanction prosecution of Chief Minister BS Yeddyurappa over corruption charges.
"Our fight will continue till Bhardwaj is recalled," Naidu told reporters as he was bundled into a police vehicle along with his party colleagues, a few metres away from Raj Bhavan.
"Bhardwaj is acting like a Congress agent and our battle against him will not stop because of arrests like this," he said.
The march was led by state BJP president KS Eshwarappa, who was also detained.
The marchers carried placards and shouted slogans as they walked from a hotel -- where they met earlier and decided on staging rallies across the state in the coming days -- to Raj Bhavan half a km away.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!