Venkaiah Naidu held during rally against Bhardwaj
Bangalore: Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) legislators and party MPs from Karnataka, including senior leader M Venkaiah Naidu, were detained here Tuesday while marching to Raj Bhavan demanding recall of Governor HR Bhardwaj.
The `Raj Bhavan Chalo` (March to Raj Bhavan) was organised by the ruling BJP to protest Bhardwaj`s decision to sanction prosecution of Chief Minister BS Yeddyurappa over corruption charges.
"Our fight will continue till Bhardwaj is recalled," Naidu told reporters as he was bundled into a police vehicle along with his party colleagues, a few metres away from Raj Bhavan.
"Bhardwaj is acting like a Congress agent and our battle against him will not stop because of arrests like this," he said.
The march was led by state BJP president KS Eshwarappa, who was also detained.
The marchers carried placards and shouted slogans as they walked from a hotel -- where they met earlier and decided on staging rallies across the state in the coming days -- to Raj Bhavan half a km away.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days