Will put an end to moral policing in Dakshina Kannada district: Minister
Mangalore: Karnataka government would put an end to moral policing in Dakshina Kannada district as it is the responsibility of the police to curb it and handle anti-social elements, Home Minister KJ George said on Wednesday.
"The police should take strict action in this regard. No one has the right to take law into their hands. We will put an end to moral policing," he told reporters here.
Fringe Hindu outfits have often been accused of moral policing with incidents like an attack on girls in a pub here in January 2009. The previous BJP government had come under criticism for allegedly turning a blind eye to moral policing.
George said he would discuss the issue of attacks on churches in 2008 during BJP rule at the ministry level and take an appropriate decision on Justice Somashekhar report, whose final report was in contradiction to initial findings.
"I have seen the initial report which was Pro-Christians, but the later report (Somasekhar Commission) is against the community. I will discuss the matter at the ministry level and arrive at an appropriate decision," he added.
The Somasekhara report had absolved the BJP and Sangh Parivar of any blame for the attacks on churches and prayer halls in several places in Karnataka in 2008.
George also said he has convened a meeting in Bangalore on June 21 with people concerned to discuss giving permission to live band (dance bars) in the state.
"Live bands with legal permission only will be allowed to
operate," he added.
Reacting to Chief Minister Siddaramaiah`s recent remarks that he had appointed him to the post to win the confidence of minorities, George said, "I am Home Minister not only for minorities but also for all communities."
On Uttarakhand floods where scores of people from here, including former minister Shobha Karandlaje, have been trapped, George said he is in touch with that state`s Chief Minister to ensure their safety.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed