Yeddy with 121 MLAs to meet Prez on Tuesday
New Delhi: Karnataka Chief Minister BS Yeddyurappa arrived here on Monday night with 121 MLAs in tow whom he
plans to parade before President Pratibha Patil to prove his
majority and demand for removal of Governor H R Bhardwaj who
has recommended dismissal of his government to the Centre.
"Governor of Karnataka has been trying to destabilise our
government right from beginning. We request President and
Prime Minister to save Karnataka, to save democracy by
recalling the Governor," Yeddyurappa told reporters here.
Yeddyurappa and BJP MLAs, MLCs and MPs from Karnataka
reached Delhi in three separate aircraft this evening with a
plea to the President to "save democracy by recalling the
"Opposition Congress and the JD(S) want to get rid of our
government illegally. We will meet Rashtrapatiji tomorrow with
MLAs, MLCs and MPs of our party," he said.
Steeping up their campaign against Bhardwaj, NDA leaders
met Prime Minister Manmohan Singh who assured them that
nothing unconstitutional will be done in Karnataka.
"The NDA strongly condemns the action of Governor of
Karnataka in sending a report to the central government. The
Governor`s conduct is partisan. It defies all constitutional
norms and principles. There is absolutely no doubt that the
Yeddyurappa government enjoys an overwhelming majority in the
Assembly," senior BJP leader Arun Jaitley said.
He maintained that as a result of the Supreme Court
judgement, the 11 suspended MLAs have been held to be members
of the BJP and were bound by its whip.
Jaitley said that the 11 suspended MLAs have taken back
the letter they wrote on October 6, 2010 withdrawing support
to the Yeddyurappa government.
"The MLAs have themselves said that they support the
government," he said.
The BJP maintained that Yeddyurappa government enjoys
clear majority in the 224-member assembly.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next