Ad from man accused in suicide case not proper: Achuthanandan
Thiruvananthapuram: Veteran Kerala CPI-M leader and former chief minister VS Achuthanandan said on Friday that it was improper for the party organ to feature an advertisement by a man accused of abetting a company secretary`s suicide.
Achuthanandan has, in the past also, taken a stance at variance with the party position.
"Yes, it was not proper for this to have appeared. Enquiries will be made," Achuthanandan said, while speaking to reporters.
The contentious advertisement appeared on Friday, on the day when the three-day plenum of the Kerala unit of the Communist Party of India-Marxist is set to conclude in Palakkad district. The meeting has seen much discussion on morality in public life.
The advertisement, featured on Friday on the front page of Deshabhimani, the party organ, is a greeting from the Surya Group of Companies and carries a picture of VM Radhakrishnan who heads the company. The Surya Group wished the party all success at the three-day plenum.
Radhakrishnan is charged by the Central Bureau of Investigation with abetting the suicide of a company secretary and his two sons, and is currently out on bail.
CPI-M central committee member and senior party legislator EP Jayarajan, however, reacted with anger to the flurry of questions on the propriety of the advertisement.
"What do you know of the plenum? There is really nothing wrong with the advertisement. You (the media) can conclude what you please, as is your wont," Jayarajan said.
Radhakrishnan began his career as a small time contractor with the Palakkad-based Malabar Cements and later rose to control all major contracts of the profit-making cement manufacturer. He also entered into close association with top political leaders, across parties, in the state.
Speaking to a news agency, PC George, chief whip of the Congress, which leads the coalition government in the state, said the advertisement was a sign of the hypocrisy of the Communist Party of India-Marxist.
"They say the plenum is discussing how best to bring a new face to the party and to improve moral conduct, and their newspaper carries an advertisement of a `murder`-accused man. No one can beat the CPI-M, because they say one thing and do something else," George said.
Meanwhile, Radhakrishnan claimed that there was nothing new in the reaction to the advertisement: "I give advertisements to all newspapers, like Veekshenam (Congress party organ), Janayugam (CPI), Janmabhoomi (BJP)."
"Please check the Deshabhimani newspaper, even as the CPI-M boycotts all programmes of Chief Minister Oommen Chandy, that newspaper carries all state government advertisements and even carries photographs of the Chief Minister," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in