Another murder case slapped against CPI-M leader Mani
Idukki : In fresh trouble for a senior CPI-M functionary in Kerala, police on Monday booked him in another murder case on the basis of his controversial speech on eliminating political foes.
For the first time, the case naming a specific murder of a man in 1980s was registered against Idukki district CPI-M Secretary M M Mani and four others in Rajakad police station in the district, police said.
The case listing conspiracy and murder charges relates to the killing of one Anjeri Baby in 1980s.
Mani, whose speech has landed the party in a serious embarrassment, had already been booked for murder last week for his remarks at a public meeting in Thodupuzha that the party had eliminated political foes in the past.
A special investigation team set up by Congress-led UDF government in the state has already summoned Mani to appear before it for questioning in connection with his speech.
In the first case in which Mani had been charged with murder, abetment and concealing information, police had not named any specific victim.
Mani, who had remained defiant refusing to step down from the organisational post, also seems to be facing disciplinary action by the party which had described his statement as a deviation from the party ideological line.
According to party sources, Mani is expected to face disciplinary action as the party`s central and state leaderships viewed his controversial speech seriously.
The sources said CPI(M) state Secretary Pinarayi Vijayan made this clear at a meeting of party functionaries from southern districts on Sunday.
In Kochi, Vijayan on Monday night termed as illegal the filing of the case against Mani for his controversial speech, saying no crime can be registered on the basis of that speech.
Senior leader and Politburo member S Ramachandran Pillai said Mani`s statement was a "mistake". The party does not annihilate its adversaries by conspiring and drawing up a list, he said. "The Marxist party is against any violence."
Mani`s speech came at a time when CPI-M has been in the dock after the arrest of some of its activists in connection with the recent murder of party rebel and Revolutionary Marxist Party leader T P Chandrasekharan.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case