Banned potassium chlorate used in fireworks at Putttingal Devi temple: Report
It has been reported that banned chemical potassium chlorate was used in making the firecrackers which caused tragedy in Putttingal Devi temple.
Kollam: Even as the police has registered a case of attempt to murder and other offences against six persons on Monday in connection with the Putttingal Devi temple fire incident, it has been reported that banned chemical pottassium chlorate was used in making the firecrackers which caused the tragedy.
As per CNN IBN, Kerala Police have said that traces of the highly explosive chemical was found in the fireworks.
Pottassium chlorate is used by some extremist organisations in making crude bombs and has been banned in India since 1992.
It is said that the chemical is sometimes used illegally to make firecrackers more noisy and colourful.
This supposedly costs only one-third the cost of legal materials.
Meanwhile, a case has been registered against six persons including including members of temple managing committee and associates of firework contractors under section 307 (attempt to murder), and 308 (attempt to commit culpable homicide) of IPC and under section 4 of Explosives Substances Act.
Besides the members of the temple managing committee, case was also registered against assistants of contractors who held the 'competitive' pyrotechnic display, despite a ban on it by the district administration.
A crime branch probe also began today into the fireworks tragedy.
A day after the devastating fireworks accident, that killed more than 100 people, a Kerala High Court Judge wrote to the court seeking its intervention for an immediate ban on use of high-decible explosive crackers in all Kerala temples.
The is likely to come up for hearing tomorrow.
Officials of the Crime Branch and personnel from the office of Chief Controller of Explosives collected evidence from the accident spot, situated about 70 km from Thiruvananthapuram.
The accident occurred at the 100-year-old Puttingal Devi Temple complex during an unauthorised display of fireworks early yesterday morning after a spark from a firecracker fell on the storehosue containing crackers, triggering explosions.
(With Agency inputs)