Commission Kudankulam plant only after probe: Achuthanandan
Thiruvananthapuram: Contending serious defects are now surfacing at the Kudankulam Nuclear Power Project (KNPP), CPI-M leader VS Achuthanandan Sunday demanded theta it should be commissioned only after a probe to find out lapses in safety measures.
In a statement issued here, the former Kerala chief minister and veteran Communist party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) leader said that the atomic regulator, Atomic Energy Regulatory Board`s former chairman A Gopalakrishnan and a few others have said there are serious flaws and the security aspect has to be ensured before the plant is commissioned.
"A high level team of experts have to be formed and a probe launched to find out the lapses that have risen ahead of the commissioning of the nuclear plant and once they give a clean chit only should the commissioning be given the nod," said Achuthanandan in the statement.
Achuthanandan also noted that news reports have now come stating that serious defects have now been identified in the Russian valves that are being used in the reactor.
"It appears orders for new valves have now been given to a Hyderabad-based company and there are also reports that Russian agencies have registered cases against the Russian company. But it appears that India is on a hurry to commission this reactor and this should not happen unless all the issues have been cleared," he said.
Achuthanandan in October last year defied a party directive and made an attempt to visit the group of protesters who are up in arms against the plant.
Soon after he crossed the Kerala border, the Tamil Nadu Police requested him not to proceed and he returned here.
A month later, Achuthanandan tendered an open admission that he regretted violating the party discipline by taking an open stand on issues contrary to that of his party.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Videos of Indian casualties on Pakistani channels 'doctored', say Army sources
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’