Consensus on the merger issue eludes UDF meeting
Kochi: The crucial United Democratic Front
meeting, convened to discuss merger of the two Kerala Congress
factions led by K M Mani and P J Joseph, failed to arrive at
any consensus with both Congress and Kerala Congress(M) not
prepared for any compromise.
This was the first UDF meeting after merger of Kerala
Congress factions, led by Mani and Joseph. While Mani faction
is with the opposition UDF, Joseph`s party had been with the
ruling Left Democratic Front.
Briefing reporters after a nearly three-hour-long
meeting, UDF convenor P P Thankachan said the meeting
discussed in detail the merger, but could not arrive at a
"Unless there is a compromise, a solution to resolve the
issue would elude us," he said.
Another meeting would be held next month on the merger
issue, he said, adding "the chapter is open, not closed".
No coalition partner would harm the UDF unity, he said,
adding the partners felt that the merits and demerits of the
merger should have been discussed in the Front.
Thankachan pointed out that when the Janata Dal faction
led by M P Veerendra Kumar joined the UDF, the issue had been
discussed in the front.
Peeved over KC(M)`s unilateral decision to merge with the
Joseph faction, Congress once again stuck to its stand that
the merger should have been discussed in the UDF.
An equally firm Mani was of the view that the issue was
`family affair` and need not be discussed in the front.
Mani told reporters that the discussions were
`satisfactory` and held in a `cordial` atmosphere.
Opposition leader, Oommen Chandy, KPCC President, Ramesh
Chennithala, IUML leader, P K Kunhalikutty, were among those
who attended the meeting.
A UDF delegation led by CMP leader, M V Raghavan would
visit the violence hit Kannur region in two days time.
The LDF government, which was celebrating its fourth year
in office, had failed to contain violence and custodial
tortures, Thankachan alleged.
It was not only the RSS-BJP workers who were being
attacked by the CPI(M) workers, but also IUML and Congress
workers, he said. There has been 157 custodial deaths in the
state in the last three years, he said.
UDF was prepared to attend the second all party meeting
on the widening of the national highway, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!