Court rejects marines` bail plea, extends remand
Kollam: Holding that it was not within its purview, a local court on Friday rejected the bail plea of two Italian marines on board the ship `Enrica Lexie`, who are charged with shooting dead two Indian fishermen off Kerala coast, and extended their judicial remand for another 14 days.
First Class Judicial Magistrate A K Gopakumar, before whom the marines` moved their plea, said it was not within the purview of his court to consider the bail application of the accused charged under IPC section 302 (murder).
The marines, Latore Massimiliano and Salvatore Girone, were brought from the Central Prison in Thiruvananthapuram and produced before Goapakumar on expiry of the remand period.
After the magistrate extended the remand of the marines, their counsel, a senior advocate of the Supreme Court, moved their bail application.
The naval guards were arrested on February 19 and charged with murder of fishermen Valentine Jalastine and Ajesh Binki, who took to sea from Neendakara in Kollam, on February 15.
The accused were in police custody for the first 14 days and had been lodged in a special cell in the central prison in Thiruvananthapuram since March 5 after the court remanded them to judicial custody.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees