Court rejects marines` bail plea, extends remand
Kollam: Holding that it was not within its purview, a local court on Friday rejected the bail plea of two Italian marines on board the ship `Enrica Lexie`, who are charged with shooting dead two Indian fishermen off Kerala coast, and extended their judicial remand for another 14 days.
First Class Judicial Magistrate A K Gopakumar, before whom the marines` moved their plea, said it was not within the purview of his court to consider the bail application of the accused charged under IPC section 302 (murder).
The marines, Latore Massimiliano and Salvatore Girone, were brought from the Central Prison in Thiruvananthapuram and produced before Goapakumar on expiry of the remand period.
After the magistrate extended the remand of the marines, their counsel, a senior advocate of the Supreme Court, moved their bail application.
The naval guards were arrested on February 19 and charged with murder of fishermen Valentine Jalastine and Ajesh Binki, who took to sea from Neendakara in Kollam, on February 15.
The accused were in police custody for the first 14 days and had been lodged in a special cell in the central prison in Thiruvananthapuram since March 5 after the court remanded them to judicial custody.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!