Hit-and-run case: Captain of suspect ship arrested
Chennai: The captain of a Singapore-flagged
ship, suspected to have collided with a boat off Kerala coast
killing five fishermen, was arrested and brought to the shore
here on Tuesday.
"He (Gordon Charless Pereira) has been arrested and brought
to the shore. He will be produced in a local court before
being taken to Kerala," IG Ernakulam Range K Padmakumar, who
is camping here, said.
A team of Kerala police arrested Pereira onboard the ship M
V Prabu Daya, currently anchored at the outer anchorage of
Chennai port, a day after Madras High Court turned down his
plea that police hold the inquiry onboard the vessel.
The court had on March 9 ordered that the vessel be
detained till further orders on a civil suit filed by owner of
the fishing vessel `Don-I` which sank in the March 1
collision, seeking Rs 1 crore relief.
Two fishermen were killed on the incident day while three
others went missing. Bodies of three other fishermen and the
wreckage of the boat were later recovered by Naval divers.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan - Part II
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan - Part III
- Hafiz Saeed warns of jihad to free Pak rivers from India
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- 'Reprogrammed' bacteria eat carbon dioxide to produce sugars
- Government eliminates 1.6 crore bogus ration cards, to save Rs 10,000 crore
- Mahindra makes history with maiden win in Moto3 class
- Yemen clashes intensify as Ban Ki-moon pushes peace
- France beat Ireland 2-1 to reach Euro 2016 quarter-finals