Hit-and-run case: Captain of suspect ship arrested
Chennai: The captain of a Singapore-flagged
ship, suspected to have collided with a boat off Kerala coast
killing five fishermen, was arrested and brought to the shore
here on Tuesday.
"He (Gordon Charless Pereira) has been arrested and brought
to the shore. He will be produced in a local court before
being taken to Kerala," IG Ernakulam Range K Padmakumar, who
is camping here, said.
A team of Kerala police arrested Pereira onboard the ship M
V Prabu Daya, currently anchored at the outer anchorage of
Chennai port, a day after Madras High Court turned down his
plea that police hold the inquiry onboard the vessel.
The court had on March 9 ordered that the vessel be
detained till further orders on a civil suit filed by owner of
the fishing vessel `Don-I` which sank in the March 1
collision, seeking Rs 1 crore relief.
Two fishermen were killed on the incident day while three
others went missing. Bodies of three other fishermen and the
wreckage of the boat were later recovered by Naval divers.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city