Hit-and-run case: Captain of suspect ship arrested
Chennai: The captain of a Singapore-flagged
ship, suspected to have collided with a boat off Kerala coast
killing five fishermen, was arrested and brought to the shore
here on Tuesday.
"He (Gordon Charless Pereira) has been arrested and brought
to the shore. He will be produced in a local court before
being taken to Kerala," IG Ernakulam Range K Padmakumar, who
is camping here, said.
A team of Kerala police arrested Pereira onboard the ship M
V Prabu Daya, currently anchored at the outer anchorage of
Chennai port, a day after Madras High Court turned down his
plea that police hold the inquiry onboard the vessel.
The court had on March 9 ordered that the vessel be
detained till further orders on a civil suit filed by owner of
the fishing vessel `Don-I` which sank in the March 1
collision, seeking Rs 1 crore relief.
Two fishermen were killed on the incident day while three
others went missing. Bodies of three other fishermen and the
wreckage of the boat were later recovered by Naval divers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Five simple tips to eat healthy!