Information Commissioner in Kerala suspended
Thiruvananthapuram: Kerala Governor HR Bhardwaj has suspended state Information Commissioner K Natarajan for allegedly intervening in the land-gift case involving CPI(M) stalwart VS Achuthanandan.
Action against Natarajan, a former DIG of police, was taken on the basis of the recommendation made by the state Government following a police probe which came across evidence to corroborate the charge that the Information Commissioner had urged a police official investigating the case to spare Achuthanandan.
According to official sources here today, the Governor had also written to the Supreme Court to conduct a detailed inquiry into the charge to decide whether Natarajan should be terminated from the post.
Under the law, the Supreme Court was the competent authority in taking termination procedures against information commissioners.
The complaint against Natarajan was given by Dy SP VG Kunhan, probing the land gift case in which Achuthanandan figures as the first accused.
The inquiry conducted by ADGP (Vigilance), R Sreelekha, had found that Natarajan had been putting pressure on Kunhan to spare Achuthanandan in the case. The audio tape of the conversation purportedly made by Natarajan to Kunhan was aired by Malayalam TV channels a few weeks ago.
The case against Achuthanandan pertains to alleged violation of norms while allotting land to TK Soman, an ex-serviceman and his close relative in Kasaragod district when he was Chief Minister heading the previous LDF ministry.
Achuthanandan, the then principal secretary to Chief Minister Sheela Thomas, personal assistant Suresh and former revenue minister KP Rajendran are among the accused in the case. The matter came to light at the fag-end of the previous LDF rule and a vigilance probe was ordered by the present UDF government.
An FIR has been registered with Achuthanandan as the first accused in a Vigilance court at Kozhikode.
Natarajan was appointed Information Commissioner during Achuthanandan`s tenure as Chief Minister.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok