Jawan commits suicide at Kochi Naval base
Kochi: A 48-year-old jawan posted on sentry duty at the Naval base in Kochi allegedly committed suicide by shooting himself with a self-loading rifle (SLR).
A Radha died of a bullet injury at about 10:30 PM on Wednesday at the Naval base, a defence release said on Thursday.
He was posted on duty at the Material Organisation, the store depot at the Naval Base.
The jawan from the adjacent sentry post along with Guard Commander found him dead after they rushed to his post on hearing a gunshot.
A resident of Vellore district of Tamil Nadu, Radha is survived by wife and three children.
The matter has been reported to the police. A Board of inquiry is being constituted to investigate the circumstances leading to the death of the jawan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter