Justice Balakrishnan objects to disclosures of tax returns
Kochi: Income Tax authorities here have
declined to reveal details of tax returns filed by National
Human Rights Commission head Justice KG Balakrishnan and
seven family members on an application under the Right to
Information Act after the former CJI objected to disclosures.
The application was filed by T Balachandran following
allegations of accmmulation of wealth disproprotionate to
known sources of income against the family members of Justice
The applicant had sought information and documents,
certified copies of IT returns submitted by Justice
Balakrishnan for 2005-06 to 2009-10, details of investigation
and inquiry by the department against him and his son, KB
Pradeep, two daughters -- Sony and Rani, sons-in law MJ Benny
and P V Sreenijan and brother K G Bhaskaran.
He had also sought certified copies of reports and
related documents with file notes relating to the
investigation and inquiry conducted by the IT department, if
The IT department had isued a letter to Justice
Balakrishnan to furnish his objections in connection with
disclosure of the documents.
Justice Balakrishnan filed a letter dated February 5
stating that disclosure of information sought is exempt from
disclosure as per Sect 8(i) of the RTI act, 2005.
"Information which relates to personal information,
disclosure of which has no relationship to any public activity
or interest or which would cause unwarranted invasion of
privacy of the individual are completely exempt from
disclosure unless the Central Public Information officer or
state Public Information Officer of the appellate authority,as
the case may be, is satisfied that the larger public interest
justified the disclosure of such information", he stated.
Rejecting the application, K Sudhakaran Pillai, Central
Public Information Officer and Income Tax Oficer, ward 3(1),
Kochi, said nothing in the applcation states how disclosure of
the information would serve the larger public interest.
The applicant`s counsel advocate DB Binu said they would
file an appeal against the order within 30 days.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet