Kerala leaders, crowds greet Abdul Nasser Madani
Kollam (Kerala): Traffic stopped, crowds went delirious and Kerala politicians shook hands with Abdul Nasser Madani as the jailed Muslim leader came here to attend his daughter`s wedding on Sunday.
The People`s Democratic Party leader, under custody in Karnataka for his alleged involvement in the 2008 Bangalore bomb blasts, was given parole to attend the "nikah".
Traffic on the main road outside a hall where the event took place was blocked for an hour. It took 15 minutes for Madani to alight from the van and reach the podium at the venue.
Kerala`s top politicians exchanged pleseantaries with him.
Leading from the front was CPI-M state secretary Pinarayi Vijayan, who sat to Madani’s right side. On his left was Indian Union Muslim League`s Lok Sabha member ET Mohammed Basheer.
Among the others who sat with him were Congress MPs MI Shahnawaz and Peethamabara Kurup, Kerala legislators C Divakaran, Thomas Issac, Varkala Kahar, and Left Democratic Front convenor Vaikom Viswan.
When the groom, dressed in a black suit, came up to the dais, there was a huge cheer as he paid his respect to Madani.
Karnataka police officials accompanying Madani were seen speaking to him when he took the mike to address the gathering.
Dressed in his customary black cap and sun glasses with his thick salt and pepper beard intact, Madani began the religious function with a small prayer.
"All of you know that I am unable to deliver a speech," he said.
"When I sit in the darkness of the jail, the one thing that keeps me going is the love and affection I get from Kerala cutting across religions.’
"I know that when I suffer, I am aware that there are so many others who suffer more than me."
He added: "I take this opportunity to thank Chief Minister Oommen Chandy and opposition leader VS Achuthanandan for their efforts to see that I get permission to attend my daughter`s `nikah`."
Madani was given parole till March 13 by a court in Bangalore to attend the wedding. He was told not to speak to the media or his supporters.
He arrived here on Saturday night from Thiruvananthapuram after his departure from Bangalore was delayed by more than 10 hours.
Conspicuous by their absence were ministers in the Chandy Cabinet.
Madani, also a religious leader here, has been in police custody in Karnataka since August 2010.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah