Kerala leaders, crowds greet Abdul Nasser Madani
Kollam (Kerala): Traffic stopped, crowds went delirious and Kerala politicians shook hands with Abdul Nasser Madani as the jailed Muslim leader came here to attend his daughter`s wedding on Sunday.
The People`s Democratic Party leader, under custody in Karnataka for his alleged involvement in the 2008 Bangalore bomb blasts, was given parole to attend the "nikah".
Traffic on the main road outside a hall where the event took place was blocked for an hour. It took 15 minutes for Madani to alight from the van and reach the podium at the venue.
Kerala`s top politicians exchanged pleseantaries with him.
Leading from the front was CPI-M state secretary Pinarayi Vijayan, who sat to Madani’s right side. On his left was Indian Union Muslim League`s Lok Sabha member ET Mohammed Basheer.
Among the others who sat with him were Congress MPs MI Shahnawaz and Peethamabara Kurup, Kerala legislators C Divakaran, Thomas Issac, Varkala Kahar, and Left Democratic Front convenor Vaikom Viswan.
When the groom, dressed in a black suit, came up to the dais, there was a huge cheer as he paid his respect to Madani.
Karnataka police officials accompanying Madani were seen speaking to him when he took the mike to address the gathering.
Dressed in his customary black cap and sun glasses with his thick salt and pepper beard intact, Madani began the religious function with a small prayer.
"All of you know that I am unable to deliver a speech," he said.
"When I sit in the darkness of the jail, the one thing that keeps me going is the love and affection I get from Kerala cutting across religions.’
"I know that when I suffer, I am aware that there are so many others who suffer more than me."
He added: "I take this opportunity to thank Chief Minister Oommen Chandy and opposition leader VS Achuthanandan for their efforts to see that I get permission to attend my daughter`s `nikah`."
Madani was given parole till March 13 by a court in Bangalore to attend the wedding. He was told not to speak to the media or his supporters.
He arrived here on Saturday night from Thiruvananthapuram after his departure from Bangalore was delayed by more than 10 hours.
Conspicuous by their absence were ministers in the Chandy Cabinet.
Madani, also a religious leader here, has been in police custody in Karnataka since August 2010.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- Shocking! 7 veg food items that may actually be non veg
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Say hello to 'nastiest' star ever
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy