Kerala police to file case against organizers of Muslim survey
Thiruvanathapuram: The Kerala police have decided to charge organisers of a controversial survey of Muslims here, reportedly conducted for a US organisation, with
promoting enmity between groups on grounds of religion.
"Of course, it had a communal overtone. We have decided to file a case of 153(a) under Indian Penal Code" which relates to the charge of promoting enmity between groups on
grounds of religion and race", Kerala DGP Jacob Punnose said commenting on the survey.
The survey by the Kochi branch of a Hyderabad headquartered company has sparked a row and Union Minister of State for Home Mullapally Ramachandran had told reporters in Kochi yesterday that he had sought a report from the IB chief.
"The matter is being taken very seriously," he said.
The survey was conducted on October 2 at Karimadam colony in the state capital where at least 100 poor families reside. The 83-page questionnaire contained some questions on
the Muslim community asking how religious they were, whether they like to wear burqa and their opinion on US President Barack Obama government.
Some of the locals had complained to the police, following which the survey was stopped.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre