Kovilan passes away
Thrissur: Well Known Malayalam novelist, V V
Ayyappan, popularly known as Kovilan, passed away at a private
hospital here early Wednesday.
He was 87 and leaves behind a son, two daughters.
He was suffering from respiratory problems, family
Kovilan`s 11 novels, 12 short stories, 3 essay
collections and a play have been well received in Kerala`s
Born on July 9, 1923 at Kandanassery in the district,
Kovilan, a freedom fighter, joined the Royal Indian Navy in
1943 and was trained in Anti Aubmarine Detecting Operations.
He served in Burma, Myanmar and Singapore. He quit
following Navy rebellion in 1946. In 1948, he joined the Corps
of Signals in Indian Army as Radio Mechanic.
For five years, he served in the Himalayas and also wrote
about his experiences in his novel `Himalaya`.
He had also served as instructor in the National Cadet
Corps, IIT Kanpur and retired in 1968 as Havildar Major, after
which he began actively writing in Malayalam.
In 2006, Kovilan was a recipient of Kerala government`s
highest literary honour `Ezhuthachan Puraskarom` for his
outstanding contribution to Malaylam literature.
He won the Kerala Sahitya Akademi award in 1972 and 1977
and the Kendra Sahitya Akademi award in 1998 besides Vayalar
award in 1999. He was also a member of the Kendra Sahitha
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Heatwave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India