KPCC to urge Sonia to take back Muraleedharan to Cong
Thiruvananthapuram: Setting the stage for return
of late Congress stalwart K Karunakaran`s son K Muraleedharan
to the Congress, KPCC president Ramesh Chennithala would make
a formal appeal to the AICC chief Sonia Gandhi for the
re-admission of the suspended leader.
Chennithala, who is leaving for Delhi this evening with
senior leader Oommen Chandy, cofirmed that they would be
making a request to Gandhi on the matter.
" We will be making a plea to AICC president when we meet
her in Delhi," Chennithala told reporters.
A former KPCC president, Muraleedharan broke ranks with
the Congress and launched his party DIC-K about six years
back, following a grim phase of faction feud in the state unit
when the UDF Government headed by A K Antony was in power.
He was slapped with a six-year suspension by the AICC for
breaking the party.
Though Karunakaran returned to the Congress, Muraleedharan
later went on to become state chief of NCP after DIC-K flopped
in the electoral arena.
After his unsuccessful bid in the 2009 the Lok Sabha polls
as NCP candidate, Muraleedharan openly aired his eagerness to
be back in the Congress.
Karunakaran, who died in December, was also keen that his son
was taken back to the Congress.
The thinking in Congress circles in the state is that
Muraleedharan`s return would further strengthen the UDF
when the Congress-led coalition is making a strong bid to
gain power in Kerala through the assembly polls due in May.
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights?
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part II
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part III
- Grenade attack on police post in J&K's Anantnag, security tightened
- World Immunisation Week: Narendra Modi government proactive, Mission Indradhanush good initiative - Praises from Gavi CEO
- Kareena Kapoor Khan, Amrita Arora's boxing session will give you fitness goals! – See pictures
- Sourav Ganguly bats for Salman Khan, says actor will bring in visibility to Rio Olympics as Indian contingent's Goodwill Ambassador
- Economy may expand by 7.8% in 2017-18: UN report