Lawyers begin signature campaign against Former CJI
Kochi: A collection of lawyers of the Kerala High court on Wednesday began a signature campaign seeking resignation of former CJI Justice KG Balakrishnan as chairperson of the National Human Rights commisison following allegations of amassment of wealth by his close family members.
The campaign is to mount pressure on the high court
advocate lawyers association to move a resolution with the
same plea and also seek a probe into the allegations. Until
the probe was over, Justice Balakrishnan should step down,
The lawyers are likely to submit the notice to the
Yesterday, a meeting of association to discuss a resolution
on corruption in higher Judiciary failed to take any decision
as two sections of advocates demanded and opposed specific
amendments seeking probe into the allegations.
The general body was called by the association to discuss
the resolution to request a fact finding enquiry about the
contents of letter submitted by former law minister Shanti
Bhooshan alleging corruption in higher judiciary.
The meeting could not arrive at a consensus and suggested
amendments to the resolution specifically demanding a probe
into allegations against justice Balakrishna`s two sons in
law-- P V Sreenijan and Benny and younger brother K G
Bhaskaran, who are alleged to have amassed properties worth
crores in Ernakulam and Thrissur districts during the last 4-5
But many members had objected to the ammendments against
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- SSC CGL 2016 exam dates out; read the eligibility criteria, registration details
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another