LDF resumes stir against Chandy over solar scam issue
Thiruvananthapuram: After a nearly one month gap, LDF opposition on Monday resumed its agitation on the solar panel scam issue, demanding Chief Minister Oommen Chandy`s resignation, with an indefinite blockade of his official residence here.
CPI-M veteran and Opposition leader VS Achuthanandan inaugurated the agitation at the Devaswom Board Junction, one of the main passageway to Chandy`s residence, `Cliff House`.
Speaking on the occasion, Achuthanandan said the stir would continue till a fair judicial probe was ordered by including Chandy under the ambit of investigation.
Hundreds of LDF volunteers led by CPI-M politburo member Kodiyeri Balakrishnan marched to the agitation venue from Raj Bhavan junction and started the picketing.
LDF leaders said the blockade in Cliff House area, where several other ministers also reside, would be peaceful and they would not obstruct movement of any persons other than Chandy, as their stir was only against the Chief Minister.
As there are other roads also to reach the area, the picketing is not likely to cause difficulty to the public.
However, Chandy is not in the city, but in Idukki to attend the Mass Contact Programme there today.
The blockade of Chief Minister`s office is another phase of the LDF stir, launched since the scam came into focus in June this year.
Though Congress led UDF government under pressure ordered a judicial probe by a retired High court Judge, LDF was not satisfied and demanded a probe by a sitting High Court judge.
The scam pertains to alleged financial cheating by Saritha S Nair and Biju by offering them solar energy solutions.
The scam snowballed into a major political row after the arrest of a Personal Assistant in Chandy`s office for allegedly aiding the accused.
LDF has been running a high-voltage campaign, demanding Chandy`s resignation over the issue.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state