LDF to hold demonstrations demanding Chandy's resignation
Thiruvananthapuram: CPI(M)-led LDF Opposition will be organising demonstrations at district headquarters in Kerala, demanding the resignation of Chief Minister Oommen Chandy in the wake of an adverse court order in a case pertaining to alleged corruption in implementation of an effluent treatment plant at a public sector company.
LDF convener and CPI(M) central committee member Vaikom Viswan said today that a fair probe in the matter would not be possible with Chandy as well as Home Minister Ramesh Chennithala and Public Works Minister V K Ibrahim Kunhu remaining in office.
In a statement, Viswan said the appropriate course of action in the case would be entrusting the case to CBI.
A vigilance court here on Thursday rejected the report of the Vigilance and Anti-corruption Bureau into alleged irregularities in awarding a contract to a company outside the state for setting up an effluent plant at public sector Travancore Titanium Products (TTP), during Chandy's initial stint as Chief Minister in 2005.
Chandy and his two colleagues have ruled out their resignation, but asserted that they were not afraid of any investigation since they had not done anything wrong.
Chennithala had said yesterday that he had no role whatsoever in the matter since he was not holding any official position at the time.
Meanwhile, defending his colleague Ibrahim Kunju, IUML leader and Industries Minister P K Kunjalikutty said there was no need for any minister to resign simply because the court had asked for a further probe.
While turning down the VACB report submitted in March 2013, the court asked the agency to conduct further investigations and file a fresh report within four months.
The case concerns alleged irregularities in implementation of an effluent treatment plant at Travancore Titanium Products Ltd (TTP), one of Kerala's oldest public sector companies located on a beach near the state capital.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly