‘Liquor consumption by tribal women responsible for infant deaths’
Thiruvananthapuram: Even as death of a large number of tribal children due to "malnutrition" in Kerala continues to be hotly debated, Culture Minister KC Joseph has courted controversy stating that consumption of arrack by expectant tribal mothers is a major cause of death of infants in Attappadi adivasi belt.
Seizing on the Congress Minister`s statement on the sidelines of a function at Kannur, CPI-M veteran and Opposition Leader V\S Achuthanandan Tuesday charged that Joseph was heaping insult on tribal women instead of providing necessary support to the affected people.
"Consumption of arrack is rampant in tribal colonies of Attappadi. Liquor consumption by expectant mothers is one of the reasons for the death of infants. It is important that they shed the habit to maintain their health," Joseph said.
Reacting to the minister`s statement, Achuthanandan said, "After starving the tribals to death, they are now insulting them."
CPI state Secretary Pannian Raveendran sought an apology from the government for "humiliating" the tribal population.
Significantly, the minister`s statement came close on the heels of the visit of Prime Minister`s principal secretary TKA Nair to Attappadi for an on-the-spot assessment of the situation.
As many as 42 tribal children have died in the last 18 months in the area, most of them either due to malnutrition or ill health of mothers.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- BSF cancels beating the retreat ceremony at Wagah post surgical strikes
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’