Most of 80,000 cyber crime complaints from women
Thiruvananthapuram: As many as 80,000 cyber crime related complaints have been registered with police in Kerala in the last one year, of which 50,000 relate to harassment of women through new hi-tech devices, Home Minister Thiruvanchoor Radhakrishnan said here today.
The number of cyber crimes are on the rise in the state with 80,000 complaints lodged in the last one year, of which 50,000 were relating to women alone, the home minister told reporters here.
Most victims of these crimes were teenaged girls and women, he said, adding there was a nefarious attempt to trap young girls to indulge in wrongdoing.
The increase in number of mobile phones had also led to more number of cyber crimes, he said.
Kerala now has three lakh mobile phones, he said.
Crimes were also reported by misusing social networking websites on the internet, he said.
The minister said with a view to strengthen computer security using best practices, Kerala Police would hold an International Information Security Conference here on August 3 and 4.
"By fostering the collaboration of the public and private sectors, our goal is to conceive new counter measures against cyber security threats and crimes against women," he said.
On reported presence of Maoist in Kerala forests, he said certain things cannot be disclosed due to security reasons. Necessary steps would be taken by police to prevent activities of such groups, he said.
Justifying the ban on the August 15 `freedom parade` of Popular Front of India, he pointed out that the ban had been in force for the past three years and UDF government had only followed the stand taken by the previous LDF government.
He said Independence Day celebrations were official celebrations conducted by all state governments. "Let us celebrate the freedom together," he said, adding the PFI`s parade has a sectarian colour to it.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata