Official suspended in Kerela dress code row
Thiruvananthapuram: A circular asking women teachers to wear green blouse while attending an official function has kicked up a controversy here, prompting the government to suspend an official in the Education Department.
Department sources said KM Aliyar, District Project Officer of Sarva Sikshha Abhiyan (SSA), was suspended for issuing the circular, which triggered a row with some teachers unions alleging political motive behind it as green is the colour of the flag of Indian Union Muslim League, whose nominee holds the Education portfolio.
The circular had directed teachers to wear green blouses while attending the inaugural of a function connected with the SSA project at Ernakulam, the sources said.
The office of the Education Minister PK Abdu Rabb, however, made it clear that the department had no connection with the circular.
The minister also directed the Secretary, General Education, to take action against the official and hold an inquiry into the controversy. The function, scheduled for Tuesday, was cancelled.
A spokesperson for Rabb said, "this order appears to be a deliberate attempt to tarnish the image of the Minister and the department."
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know