Parents to use dead son`s semen to have surrogate
Thrissur (Kerala): Thanks to a verdict by a Lok Adalat in Kerala, an elderly casual labourer and his wife have won the right to collect their deceased son`s semen from an infertility clinic and use it to have a surrogate child.
Ravi Kumar, 59, a casual labourer, and his 58-year-old wife Karthiyayani from Thrissur are overjoyed with the verdict. They have even found a woman who is willing to become a surrogate mother.
The couple had a son, Ratheesh, who was a student of sound engineering in Bangalore when he was diagnosed with a tumour in his testes. While he was being treated, doctors advised that his semen be collected and stored for further use. And that`s what he did. Ratheesh passed away at the age of 28 last year after contracting pneumonia.
"When we approached the infertility clinic requesting them to hand over our son`s semen, they said they can give it only if a court gives a ruling to this effect," said Kumar.
Now the Lok Adalat in Kochi, in a ruling Monday, said the couple should make use of the semen within three months.
"We have now decided that we want to have a child from our son`s semen and we will go to any extent for it. Since it involves huge expenses, we have decided to sell our land and our small home," said Karthiyayani, who works as a sweeper at a government hospital.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- Mann ki Baat: Govt to provide cashless treatment to road accident victims, says PM Modi
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Exercise, healthy food prevent knee pain in adults with diabetes