Protests against police firing rock Assembly
Thiruvananthapuram: The Kerala Assembly was adjourned Tuesday as the opposition Left took on the government over a police officer firing shots from his service revolver to disperse a protest over a student not being allowed to study at the Kozhikode Government Engineering College.
Chief Minister Oommen Chandy said the firing episode Monday should never have happened and the government was expecting a report from the Director General of Police. However, the opposition Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) was furious and the Left members gathered near the Speaker`s podium to protest.
Chandy had taken up the case of the student -- who had some years ago made a ragging complaint against activists of the Students` Federation of India, the students wing of the Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) -- and recommended his admission to the college.
Seeking leave for an adjournment motion to discuss this issue, CPI-M`s Kozhikode legislator A Pradeep Kumar said Assistant Commissioner of Police Radhakrishna Pillai, who fired four rounds from his service revolver, should be suspended immediately.
Stating that the police officer had a "past", Kumar said: "He did not follow any procedure which a police official should have done before opening fire."
Responding, Chandy said: "The circumstances that led to the unpleasant scenes was the tough undemocratic stand taken by the activists of the Students Federation of India."
Explaining, he said, a fifth semester engineering student, Nirmal Madhavan, was not being allowed to study at the college.
In 2009, Madhavan got admission to the University Engineering College in Kozhikode and was subjected to a brutal ragging episode. Following his complaint, some SFI activists were charged under the anti-ragging act.
After that, he took a transfer to an engineering college near Alappuzha and here also he complained he was being threatened by SFI activists.
"This student then approached me. Seeing his plight, I decided to transfer him to a Government Engineering College in Kozhikode a few months back and soon the SFI started a strike. I then asked the district collector to appoint a technical committee to look into this... after two days again, the SFI started to strike and this led to the unpleasant episode yesterday," Chandy said in the Assembly.
Unhappy with the reply, the entire opposition stood up to demand immediate action against the police officer. Leader of Opposition VS Achuthanandan repeatedly asked Chandy to make a statement.
But Chandy only said that the government was waiting for the police report.
The tumult continued, forcing Speaker G Karthikeyan to run through the listed business for the day and adjourn the house for the day.
The opposition sat in the house shouting slogans for another hour before dispersing finally.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!