Seasoned politician and film actor battle it out in Chalakudy
Kochi: It is likely to be a cakewalk for senior Congress politician P C Chacko in the April 10 polls from Chalakudy Lok Sabha constituency, where he is pitted against Malayalam film actor Innocent, the CPI(M) Independent candidate.
However, leaving nothing to chance, Chacko is on a hectic campaign trail.
Chacko had represented Thrissur in the previous Lok Sabha and was adamant about switching his constituency. The Congress high command, which was reportedly not too happy, had reluctantly agreed to his plea, following which the sitting MP from Chalakudy was shifted to Thrissur.
"Block conventions are over and booth conventions are going on," Chacko, who had recently courted controversy by stating that Congress prospects were not very bright, said.
However, later he claimed he was misquoted by the media.
"There are no two opinions about the Congress-led UPA`s comeback. I had said there will be a third UPA, but there will be no single majority`, Chacko told PTI when pointed out that Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi had rejected the view that Congress was an `underdog` or that it faced an `uphill` task in the Lok Sabha polls.
Confident of a Congress win, Chacko said demoralisation is rampant in the CPI(M) camp as the Left party had in a `dictatorial manner` foisted five Independent candidates who have nothing to do with the Left movement.
"Discontentment is rampant in the rank and file of CPI(M) and it will have repercussions not only in the coming elections, but in the long run as well," he said.
Chacko, who was chairman of the Joint Parliamentary Committee which probed the 2G spectrum scam, had represented Piravom in the assembly in 1980 and was a minister in the E K Nayanar ministry.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee?
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part II
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part III
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part IV
- Are central govt employees justified in demanding salary hike?
- Sachin Tendulkar fans fume after Kumar Sangakkara omits 'God of Cricket' from all-time XI
- China to feel Brexit effects, yuan to weaken against dollar: JP Morgan
- As Central India faces drought, violence and murders on the rise over water
- Baby boom! Teejay Sidhu and Karanvir Bohra to become parents for the first time
- Tripura Governor gets additional charge of Arunachal Pradesh