Seasoned politician and film actor battle it out in Chalakudy
Kochi: It is likely to be a cakewalk for senior Congress politician P C Chacko in the April 10 polls from Chalakudy Lok Sabha constituency, where he is pitted against Malayalam film actor Innocent, the CPI(M) Independent candidate.
However, leaving nothing to chance, Chacko is on a hectic campaign trail.
Chacko had represented Thrissur in the previous Lok Sabha and was adamant about switching his constituency. The Congress high command, which was reportedly not too happy, had reluctantly agreed to his plea, following which the sitting MP from Chalakudy was shifted to Thrissur.
"Block conventions are over and booth conventions are going on," Chacko, who had recently courted controversy by stating that Congress prospects were not very bright, said.
However, later he claimed he was misquoted by the media.
"There are no two opinions about the Congress-led UPA`s comeback. I had said there will be a third UPA, but there will be no single majority`, Chacko told PTI when pointed out that Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi had rejected the view that Congress was an `underdog` or that it faced an `uphill` task in the Lok Sabha polls.
Confident of a Congress win, Chacko said demoralisation is rampant in the CPI(M) camp as the Left party had in a `dictatorial manner` foisted five Independent candidates who have nothing to do with the Left movement.
"Discontentment is rampant in the rank and file of CPI(M) and it will have repercussions not only in the coming elections, but in the long run as well," he said.
Chacko, who was chairman of the Joint Parliamentary Committee which probed the 2G spectrum scam, had represented Piravom in the assembly in 1980 and was a minister in the E K Nayanar ministry.
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- OMG: Akshay Kumar's bodyguard punches a fan – Details inside
- SHOCKING! Pakistan umpire Aleem Dar's sons involved in major controversy in Scotland - Read full story
- Kerala Assembly Election 2016: Arun Jaitley to release NDA's vision document today
- US wants Pakistan to have dialogue with neighbours
- Hassan Rouhani allies win Iran parliament elections second round: Reports