Seasoned politician and film actor battle it out in Chalakudy
Kochi: It is likely to be a cakewalk for senior Congress politician P C Chacko in the April 10 polls from Chalakudy Lok Sabha constituency, where he is pitted against Malayalam film actor Innocent, the CPI(M) Independent candidate.
However, leaving nothing to chance, Chacko is on a hectic campaign trail.
Chacko had represented Thrissur in the previous Lok Sabha and was adamant about switching his constituency. The Congress high command, which was reportedly not too happy, had reluctantly agreed to his plea, following which the sitting MP from Chalakudy was shifted to Thrissur.
"Block conventions are over and booth conventions are going on," Chacko, who had recently courted controversy by stating that Congress prospects were not very bright, said.
However, later he claimed he was misquoted by the media.
"There are no two opinions about the Congress-led UPA`s comeback. I had said there will be a third UPA, but there will be no single majority`, Chacko told PTI when pointed out that Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi had rejected the view that Congress was an `underdog` or that it faced an `uphill` task in the Lok Sabha polls.
Confident of a Congress win, Chacko said demoralisation is rampant in the CPI(M) camp as the Left party had in a `dictatorial manner` foisted five Independent candidates who have nothing to do with the Left movement.
"Discontentment is rampant in the rank and file of CPI(M) and it will have repercussions not only in the coming elections, but in the long run as well," he said.
Chacko, who was chairman of the Joint Parliamentary Committee which probed the 2G spectrum scam, had represented Piravom in the assembly in 1980 and was a minister in the E K Nayanar ministry.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest