Students offer support to woman fighting against sand mafia
Thiruvananthapuram: Students of various colleges here have expressed solidarity with a woman, who has been staging a sit-in with her three children in front of the Secretariat here for the last two months seeking action against the sand mafia and mining.
About 70 students, including girls, marched to the north gate of the administrative hub and offered support to V Jazeera hailing from Kannur, on Sunday.
Raising slogans in support of the woman, they also tagged a green band around her wrist as a symbol of the environment, students said.
They also recited poems and drew pictures to propagate the message of the need for environment conservation.
Jazeera, with her three children, has been staging the protest demanding conservation of Neerozhukkumchal beach in Kannur where alleged illegal sand mining is taking place.
Many personalities from various walks of life, including popular actor Suresh Gopi, have offered support to her.
Authorities have, however, denied Jazeera`s allegations, saying no illegal sand mining is taking place.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea
- Arvind Kejriwal in Bihar, shown black flags at Patna airport
- After daughter Sheena, Indrani Mukerjea planned to kill son Mikhail?
- Sheena murder case: Rahul Mukerjea being questioned at undisclosed location
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie