Tharoor, Pushkar are man and wife
Palakkad (Kerala): At about 8.30 am, Shashi Tharoor tied the auspicious `thali` around long-time friend Sunanda Pushkar`s neck, exchanged jasmine garlands with her and presented her with a `podava` or new set of clothes, in a traditional Kerala Hindu wedding solemnised at the MP`s ancestral home near here Sunday.
The wedding is the third for both Tharoor, 54, and Dubai-based Pushkar, a Kashmiri.
Dressed in traditional attire, Tharoor in a white mundu and shirt, and Pushkar, in a white and gold saree with loads of jasmine flowers in her hair - the couple smiled happily throughout the brief ceremony watched by close relatives, including their children from previous marriages.
The flamboyant diplomat-turned-Congress Lok Sabha member got married at his 200-year-old ancestral home in the presence of his 94-year-old maternal grandmother.
Sunday`s marriage was witnessed by the two sons of Tharoor through his first marriage and also Pushkar`s son, besides his mother, two sisters and his relatives who turned up for the event from across the world.
From the bride`s side there were around 15 close relatives, including her father, a retired army man, and brother who had come from Kashmir.
Incidentally, a Keralite businessman settled in Dubai had brought the couple together when they first met in Dubai.
Pushkar was first briefly married to a Kashmiri, then she married a Malayali who worked in an investment-cum-insurance company in Dubai. He died in a road accident in 1997 in Delhi.
Tharoor was first married to a college friend, Tilottama, a Bengali. He has twin sons from her. He later married Christa, a Canadian, and divorced her recently.
"Barring Tharoor`s college mate and fellow Congress politician Mani Shanker Aiyar there was none from the political arena. After a family function here, they leave for Coimbatore to catch a flight to Thiruvananthapuram, where there is a get together tomorrow (Monday) morning for select guests," said Tharoor`s closest aide to IANS who was present at the wedding but did not wish to be identified.
"In all around 300 people were present at the wedding. It was a simple function with no fanfare," said the aide, adding that he has to rush back to the state capital to make arrangements for Monday`s event.
Many policemen were seen outside the gate of the compound.
After staying in Thiruvananthapuram for a few days, the couple head for Dubai where a reception in typical Kashmiri style would be held. From there they fly to Spain for a few days before returning to Delhi to host a dinner reception on Sep 3.
Tharoor is a former UN undersecretary general who was a candidate for the UN secretary general`s job before he lost the election to Ban-ki Moon. He returned to India to join politics and won a seat to parliament from Thiruvananthapuram constituency with a big margin.
He was made minister of state for external affairs, and helped to power India`s outreach to Africa, before he ran into media controversies. First over his perceived political indiscretions, particularly his tweeting where he was seen to say things he should not be saying as a minister, and then in favouring a bidder for an Indian Premier League (IPL) team from Kerala amid insinuations that he had financial stakes that he stoutly denied.
He resigned April 18 this year as minister of state for external affairs following a controversy over the IPL.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi