Tirupur: 140 Independents to withdraw from poll fray
Coimbatore: 140 candidates who had filed
nominations as Independents from Tirupur North Assembly
constituency on Sunday decided to withdraw from the poll fray
after candidates from major parties assured them of resolving
their concerns regarding the closed units in the hosiery hub.
The decision follows a meeting of all the contesting
candidates, organised by the Tirupur Industrial Protection
Committee, to which candidates of major political parties were
also invited, Committee sources said.
At the meeting, the candidates of DMK, AIADMK,
Congress, CPI-M and BJP assured of permanent measures to solve
the crisis, which was precipitated by a High Court directive
ordering the closure of more than 700 dyeing and bleaching
units due to discharge of effluents into the Noyyal river.
Following the decision to withdraw the candidates, the
Election Commission would heave a sigh of relief, as it had
been planning to revert to ballot papers, because EVMs can
accommodate only up to 64 candidates.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi