Toll in Kerala hooch tragedy rises to 25
Two more persons succumbed to illicit toddy on Thursday taking the toll to 25 in the twin hooch tragedy in Malappuram district, police said.
Velayudhan of Kolathur in the district and Kanakkayi of perassanoor in Palakkad district, are the two who died today.
Kozhikode Medical College Hospital sources told a news agency that so far 315 people had sought medical treatment since the tragedy occurred on September 6.
Twenty one people at still in the hospital and the condition of two are stated to be serious, Medical college sources said.
The Excise Commissioner S Subbaiah, who had visited Vaniyambalam in Vandoor, had said that the preliminary report on the incident would be submitted to the government on
According to preliminary assessment of forensic experts, the toddy supplied by the shop in Kuttippuram could have been mixed with methyl.
Kerala government had announced a judicial probe by a sitting High Court judge into the tragedy.
Eight people, including the key accused Dhravyan have been arrested so far in connection with the tragedy, they said.
The government had also announced a solatium of Rs five lakh each to the next of kin of those who died and Rs four lakh each for those who lost their eyesight.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown