Ajay Singh stages sit-in as officials stop his cav
Bhopal: Leader of Opposition in the Madhya Pradesh assembly Ajay Singh, campaigning for assembly by-poll in Maheshwar, on Thursday staged a sit-in after officials stopped him at Jalkoda village on the ground that the number of vehicles in his cavalcade exceeded the permissible limit.
Alleging that the officials were working at the behest of the ruling BJP government in the state, Singh said that the administration had counted even the vehicles of mediapersons and those of a marriage party as part of his cavalcade.
He said that it would be difficult to have free and fair poll here as the ruling BJP wanted to win the Maheshwar by-poll scheduled to be held on June 12 at any cost and was putting pressure on the local administration.
He also alleged that last night in the name of serving meals to saints, the Industries Minister, Kailash Vijaywargiya had arranged dinner for nearly 2.5 lakh persons, but the district administration remained silent on the issue.
It was clearly an attempt by the minister to influence the by-poll, he alleged.
The Election Commission should appoint a special observer for Maheshwar constituency to ensure free and fair by-poll, he demanded.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Japan PM pledges to invest $ 30 billion in Africa by 2018
- Kedar Jadhav, Shreyas Iyer power India A to easy six-wicket win
- Talks on Kashmir issue needed, want peace restored in Valley: Pak High Commissioner Abdul Basit
- Gold rebounds on jewellers' buying, silver jumps Rs 280/kg
- US Open 2016: Saketh Myneni advances to main draw