Ajay Singh stages sit-in as officials stop his cav
Bhopal: Leader of Opposition in the Madhya Pradesh assembly Ajay Singh, campaigning for assembly by-poll in Maheshwar, on Thursday staged a sit-in after officials stopped him at Jalkoda village on the ground that the number of vehicles in his cavalcade exceeded the permissible limit.
Alleging that the officials were working at the behest of the ruling BJP government in the state, Singh said that the administration had counted even the vehicles of mediapersons and those of a marriage party as part of his cavalcade.
He said that it would be difficult to have free and fair poll here as the ruling BJP wanted to win the Maheshwar by-poll scheduled to be held on June 12 at any cost and was putting pressure on the local administration.
He also alleged that last night in the name of serving meals to saints, the Industries Minister, Kailash Vijaywargiya had arranged dinner for nearly 2.5 lakh persons, but the district administration remained silent on the issue.
It was clearly an attempt by the minister to influence the by-poll, he alleged.
The Election Commission should appoint a special observer for Maheshwar constituency to ensure free and fair by-poll, he demanded.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok