God Particle: DAE`s Indore facility had role to play
Bhopal: Indore-based Raja Ramanna Centre for Advanced Technology (RRCAT), a Department of Atomic Energy (DAE) facility, has played a major role in the supply of vital parts for Large Hadron Collider(LHC) of European Organisation for Nuclear Research (CERN).
The scientists at CERN on Wednesday claimed to have spotted a sub-atomic particle "consistent" with the Higgs boson or `God particle`, believed to be a crucial building block that led to the formation of the universe.
RRCAT was the nodal agency from the DAE for the ambitious LHC project, sources associated with the project at the institute told PTI.
Besides RRCAT, Indore based Indo-German Tool Room (IGTR) also played a major role in the development of Jacks on which the 27-km long LHC is positioned, IGTR Manager, Consultant and Marketing, C S Sharma said.
Under an agreement of DAE and CERN, Centre for Advanced Technology developed a number of subsystems for the world`s largest particle accelerator -- the Large Hadron Collider (LHC), the sources said.
According to RRCAT`s website, LHC has more than 1,600 superconducting magnets along its circumference for bending and focusing the beams. These huge magnet assemblies, each weighing more than 32 tons with a length of 15 meters, need to be positioned with a precision of 50 micrometre all along the 27km length.
RRCAT conceptualised, designed and developed precision-positioning devices that allow precise positioning of these huge magnets in the tunnel and maintenance of these devices, sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- My News: People forced to pay for govt water tankers in Sangam Vihar
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi