Judgement reserved in case related to hurting Sikh sentiments
Indore: A local court reserved its judgement today on a revision petition filed on the issue of Narayan Sai allegedly hurting Sikh religious sentiments by sporting a Sikh style turban and beard, when he was nabbed by the police.
The decision was reserved by the Additional Session Judge AK Paliwal until July 22 after hearing arguments on behalf of Yuva Sikh Morcha`s Gagandeep Singh Bhatia in the matter.
Earlier, a lower court had dismissed a petition against Sai on the ground that merely sporting turban and beard like a Sikh by a rape accused doesn`t amount to hurting religious sentiments, Gagandeep`s lawyer Inderjeet Singh Bhatia told reporters.
However, in his revision petition Gagandeep contended that religious sentiments of the Sikh community was hurt when rape accused Narayan Sai evaded arrest donning the look of a Sikh, because it gave a wrong message to society. Therefore, the trial against him should take place in a court of law under relevant sections, the revision petition said.
Narayan Sai, along with his two associates was nabbed from Haryana for allegedly raping a 30-year-old woman based in Surat on December 4, after evading arrest for nearly 58 days.
When Narayan Sai was caught, he had allegedly disguised himself to look like a Sikh by sporting a red turban.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing