Madhya Pradesh: Stampede at Kamtanath temple, 10 people dead
Zee Media Bureau
Satna: At least ten people were killed and over 60 injured in stampede at Kamtanath Pahad temple in Satna district in Madhya Pradesh early Monday.
Reports said that the stampede happened at around 6 am after large number of pilgrims had gathered at the Kamtanath temple in Chitrakoot on the occasion of `Amavasya` to offer prayers on the auspicious occasion of Somvati Amavasya.
"Ten people were killed and over 60 are suspected to be injured in the stampede," Collector ML Meena said.
Devotees, mostly women, encircle the mountain by lying and rolling on the path for worship. The presence of a large crowd resulted in a stampede in the area leaving 10 dead, he said.
The BJP government-led by Shivraj Singh Chouhan announced a a compensation of Rs two lakh for the families of the deceased and Rs 50000 for the seriously injured and Rs 10,000 to those who suffered minor injuries.
The exact number of persons injured in the stampede will be known later as Collector and other senior officials have rushed to the spot from Satna to take stock of the situation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa Reloaded: Shahid reveals about meeting Aishwarya
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!